Wednesday, April 26, 2006

`adam ishbaa` al-raghba al-jinsiya

Which roughly means 'a lack of gratification of sexual desire' - a phrase lifted directly from the text I chose to translate from Arabic into English for my supervision tomorrow. This may give you some idea of what the text is about. I thought it was about mental illness - an understandable mistake to make since the words for fertility and mental illness are pretty much the same. Didn't realise my mistake until almost at the end of the passage when it started talking about menstruation.....however it is too late to choose another now! It'll be fine, she says confidently, taking her life into her hands.
I saw a duck today. It was in the little courtyard that leads from my side of Sidgwick to the library. The interesting thing about seeing a duck in this courtyard is that it is very small and enclosed by very high walls. Not to mention a long way from the river. Usually there are no birds there. And yet, suddenly there was a duck, wandering around the courtyard and quacking to itself. It was a large enough surprise to jolt me out of my usually internal dialogue (between me and myself) and say out loud, 'And there's a duck in the courtyard.' It was gone by the time I left the library, so I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined it.
However, I am not the only one to have had a strange experience with birds today. Tris MSNed me almost as soon as I got back to my room, saying, 'THERE ARE 15 PARROTS OUTSIDE!!!'
He lives in Central London.
This inspired Fan to say, "Well, parrots are common in London. No wait, I'm thinking of pigeons. Same thing really..."
I also had a mock Akkadian exam today, and it's going to be scary. I'm not very good at writing things down until they're entirely clear in my head. And unseen texts are never entirely clear, so I'm a little buggered.
I'm still obsessed with Good Omens.
And now I'm off to watch Desperate Housewives. Toodle-oo peeps xxx

2 Comments:

Blogger RandomFan said...

as i said to helen earlier, all birds are the same really, they just wear different clothes...

11:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no. There were indeed ducks invading Newnham, pottering around in a pair quite happily. You're not hallucinating and I'd glad to say - neither am I.

12:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home